Corvus Pharmaceuticals Announces Publication of Preclinical Study Results Demonstrating CPI-444 Antitumor Activity as Monotherapy and in Combination with Anti-PD-1 Therapy in Cancer Immunology, Immunotherapy
CPI-444, Corvus’ lead product candidate, is a selective and potent inhibitor of the adenosine A2A receptor. It is currently being evaluated in early-stage clinical trials in patients with various solid tumors as a single agent and in combination with Genentech’s atezolizumab, an anti-PD-L1 antibody.
“These newly published studies add to the growing scientific and clinical evidence of the importance of the adenosine pathway in modulating immune responses in cancer. The results provide further evidence that the A2A receptor may serve as a crucial regulator of immune response, and confirms the potential of CPI-444 in cancer therapy,” said
Results of the preclinical studies conducted by researchers at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Research Center and Bloomberg~Kimmel Institute for Cancer Immunotherapy at
- Administered as monotherapy suppressed tumor growth and improved survival in two animal models of colon tumors -- CT26, which is very resistant to checkpoint blockade, and MC38.
- Enhanced the efficacy of anti-PD-1 immunotherapy. The combination therapy dramatically improved tumor regression and animal survival in both the CT26 and MC38 colon tumor models. The effect was particularly marked in the CT26 tumor model, which showed a 70 percent cure rate.
- Dramatically enhanced immune responses in models of tumor immunity, augmented immune memory responses to viral antigens, and enhanced adoptive cellular therapy (ACT) in an animal model of melanoma.
- Suppressed the expression of multiple checkpoint pathways, including PD-1, LAG-3, TIM-3 and CTLA-4, on both CD8 positive and T reg cells (which play an important role in regulating antitumor immune responses). The most significant effects were seen in tumor-draining lymph nodes.
- Increased the function of killer T cells (CD8+) in tumor infiltrating cells.
CPI-444 is a small molecule, oral, checkpoint inhibitor designed to disable a tumor’s ability to subvert attack by the immune system by blocking the binding of adenosine in the tumor microenvironment to the A2A receptor. Adenosine, a metabolite of ATP (adenosine tri-phosphate), is produced within the tumor microenvironment where it may bind to the adenosine A2A receptor present on immune cells and block their activity. CD39 and CD73 are enzymes on the surface of tumor cells and immune cells. These enzymes work in concert to convert ATP to adenosine. In vitro and preclinical studies have shown that dual blockade of CD73 and the A2A receptor may be synergistic.
ABOUT CORVUS PHARMACEUTICALS
This press release contains forward-looking statements, including statements related to the potential safety and efficacy of CPI-144 and the potential importance of the adenosine pathway in modulating immune responses in cancer. All statements other than statements of historical fact contained in this press release are forward-looking statements. These statements often include words such as “believe,” “expect,” “anticipate,” “intend,” “plan,” “estimate,” “seek,” “will,” “may” or similar expressions. Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties, many of which involve factors or circumstances that are beyond the Company’s control. The Company’s actual results could differ materially from those stated or implied in forward-looking statements due to a number of factors, including but not limited to, risks detailed in the Company’s Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended
The links provided herein (other than to Corvus’ website) are to websites owned and operated by third parties. These links are provided for your information and convenience only and are not an endorsement by Corvus of the content of such linked websites. Corvus has no control of the content of any linked website and is not responsible for these websites or their content or availability. Corvus therefore makes no warranties or representations, express or implied about such linked websites, the third parties they are owned and operated by or the information contained on them.
Chief Financial Officer
650 900 4522